Monday 22 July 2013

TAKE A WORD

DAY TRIP

Marie has chosen MEMORIES this week as our word for inspiration and that took my mind all over the place.  What should I choose!

In the end I chose a DAY TRIP to the seaside.  This was most likely a trip to Blackpool, and on the sands (we had never heard of a beach in those days), a handful of painted tin buckets between us, and we girls wearing only our underwear.  A sensible precaution since should we fall into the sea fully clothed we could look forward to a very uncomfortable coach ride home indeed.

Mam took us on these trips a couple of times a year and I can still remember the butterflies of excitement I experienced waiting for that coach to arrive and our journey to begin.

In this snap you can see two of my sisters, two of my brothers, my cousin (who came everywhere with us) .. and that's me at the back.  I was the eldest but looking at this I see my younger sister, by two years, was already as tall as me .. a trend that was to continue since all six of my siblings are now head and shoulders taller than me. 

Ahhh ... precious memories.

Credit to Kubivet and HolliewoodStudio.

Thank you for looking.

12 comments:

sheila 77 said...

Oh, yes, precious memories, a lovely family photo and a very nice description. I like the way you have presented the photograph.

sirkkis said...

Jes, very nicely presented this lovely familly photo. I can see that you look very much same as in your to days's photo :)

Anni - My Creative Life and Mixed Media Books said...

A beautiful digital collage with a bunch of wonderful children, so well made and a lovely memory.
Anni

Healing Woman said...

Precious memories indeed. The picture is so timeless. You and your siblings could be anywhere at any time. Very artisitc presentation!

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love the precious story behind the photograph as much as I like the bright and sunny layout you placed it in. Blessings!

peggy gatto said...

I love the style of this one, so classic!!!

johanna said...

i can fully understand that you enjoyed these trips to the water! love your story and the collage is really classy!

Karla B said...

Lovely moment!

Judy said...

I, too, have many memories of holidays in Blackpool as I had relatives who lived in the suburbs, (cousin still there) BUT not the same place as it was then, I believe! love way you have presented your photo, love the 'sunny' shades.
Enjoying the heatwave? How is your sister coping with the earthquakes here? That was a real belter on Sunday!

Marfi-topia said...

very sweet.
this has me thinking of trips I was taken on as a child...they weren't often, but I remember the butterflies of excitement too.
I love how you have this photo arranged.
great work!

Deann said...

A precious memory indeed and what a great collage...now a family treasure.

Ozstuff said...

I love this slice of nostalgia, Ann, especially the droopy drawers!! Fabulous.