Sunday 27 January 2013

TAKE A WORD



YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS

Lizbeth, hosting at TAKE A WORD this week, has chosen GRANDMA'S COOKERY BOOK as our theme and that reminded me of Mum's Be-Ro Book which no self respecting housewife would have been without.  From the 1920s onwards generations of women learned their cooking skills from just such a recipe book and from the recipes within its pages our Mum made meat and potato pies, stew and dumplings, steamed ginger puddings, rice puddings,  Victoria sponges, macaroons, maids of honour, jam tarts and ginger parking to name just a few.  And in late summer, so they had time to mature, the Christmas cakes were made with directions from this same Be-Ro book.

But best of all each Sunday lunch's first course was a plateful of Yorkshire pudding and thick meaty gravy to whet the appetite for the weekly Sunday roast to follow.  Mmmmmmm.

Now the Be-Ro book was good, but my Mum and Grandma were better because they added a secret ingredient to that Yorkshire pudding mixture just prior to popping it in the oven.  What was it?  Well, I wouldn't want to tell you or I would have to kill you ......... hee hee.

Grandma's Cookery Book is a figment of my imagination!

Credit to SkelitalMess and my own stash.  The Font is 'Waking the Witch'.

Thanks for looking.




13 comments:

Ozstuff said...

Ahhhh ... I remember Yorkshire Pudding. My mother always made it when we had roast beef. I can still taste it. I love your Grandma's recipe and the aged page which looks totally genuine! You could sell it a boot sale as the real thing. Gorgeous artwork!!

indybev said...

Great art, and I enjoyed the great memories too! My mother's cookbook disappeared in her last years, and I mourn it still. Thanks for sharing with us!

Judy said...

Your writing brought back many wonderful memories of similar food my Grandma cooked, but on 'the dark side' she made Yorkshire Parkin (LOL)!! Couldn't resist that Ann, sorry! Fabulous composition for the theme!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

What a beautiful entry to the challenge. Love it.

Deann said...

What a charming and informative post my dear I just love your recipe card and your story...awesome job!

johanna said...

tell you and kill you, LOL! ok, i will go on living without yorkshire pudding, but will remember this post with joy!

mary.kg said...

Merci Ann pour cette recette !
En France ce n'est pas une recette très utilisée!
Les recettes de grands- mères avaient le petit quelque chose qui change tout!
Gardez bien le secret particulier de ce pudding!
Mais au moins n'oubliez pas de le transmettre à vos decendants!
Amitiés Mary.kg

Junibears said...

Wonderful! And memories! I had the BeRo cook book when I was a young bride!
Beautiful piece! xx

Sim said...

Hahaha, dear Ann, your talent and your spirit are infinite!
(Thank you for this typic and uncomplete recipe! Hahaha! :D)

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

What a wonderful story and a great vintage feeling with your work!

Anonymous said...

I'm drooling, Ann...those Yorkshire puds were designed to get us filled up so we wouldn't eat so much expensive meat, I believe. I haven't had parkin in years. I must look for a recipe. Love the font and the vintage feel of this and your story.xx

Yvonne said...

Looks like a killer recipe, Ann!

Linda Gibbons said...

This is so cool! I saw Yorkshire puddings on a Food Network show last might, and it remonded me of my dad, who used to make a huge one on a cookie sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter when we had roast beef for Sunday dinner.